There was a lot of masking involved for this card. The lamp post was also shorter than I needed, so I masked off the bottom half and stamped the top, then did the reverse to stamp only the base. I wanted the lantern to be quite high on the card so that the light it shone covered about a third of the card. I then masked everything to stamp the stones and ink the lightmeam in tones of orange fading out to pale yellow.
I've watercoloured the image using mostly neutral colours but added a pop of red on each element, including the candle in the lantern. I tried to create some darker shadow in front of the carol singers to show that the light is coming from behind them. I added a sprinkling of snow and a yellow glow on the goat's hat pompom.